Every summer the Barnet Federation of Allotments and Horticultural Societies organises a competition to find the best plot and site out of the 49 in the Borough. This year’s competition is now open for entries.
Each allotment site in the Barnet Federation can nominate one of its plots to be considered for the Plot Competition 2013. Once the plot has been entered for the competition, it will be inspected by a panel of judges who will mark it according to criteria which include the following:
- Variety and health of crops being grown
- Good planning and tidiness of the plot
- Good condition of the soil and mulch (both organic and inorganic)
- Sustainability (evidence of water saving and composting)
- Lack of weeds
- Well-maintained boundaries
- Well-built and maintained permanent structures such as sheds and greenhouses
- Neat and tidy temporary structures such as cloches, with marks given for innovative use of materials
If you would like the Woodhouse Allotments committee to consider your plot to be nominated in this year’s Barnet Federation competition, please let me or another member of the committee know by Tuesday July 2nd. The closing date for entries to go forward to the competition proper is Sunday July 7th.
Further details and documents for the competition are also available in the members’ area of the Woodhouse website.