The sun shone on the summer Social and Produce Competition on Saturday. Everyone enjoyed the opportunity to get together and indulge in allotment chat and, of course, the delicious food supplied by all. Graham Clark’s apple scrattler, producing freshly pressed apple juice, was kept running in high demand all afternoon.
For the record, the results of the competition are as follows. Thanks to all our entrants – some particularly beautiful baskets and produce displays this year.
- Tallest sunflower – David and Sonja Bleecker – 3.07m
- Heaviest onion – Paul Young – 260g
- Heaviest tomato – Paul Young – 400g
- Heaviest potato – Paul Young – 500g
- Heaviest beetroot – Michael Evans – 1.34kg
- Heaviest courgette/marrow – Paul Young – 4.28kg
- Longest runner bean – Christina Erskine – 37.5cm
- Best plot sign – Genevieve and Adrian Guthrie – ‘Route 66’
- Best 5 of any produce – Andy Duncan and Corinne Stannard – courgettes
- Basket of 5 different varieties – Zeynep Karadag
- Most unusual veg – Lucinda Vinnicombe – samphire